How can I make my application stand out from the crowd?
- Use bullet points for easier reading
- Separate your CV into sections: personal statement, successes, career history & education
- Start with your most recent employer first
- The length of your application should be determined by your relevant experience
- Check your spelling & avoid industry jargon
- Use a consistent font throughout
What should I include?
- Work history: job title, employer, dates & contract type if appropriate
- A short, high level summary for each role
- Experience of working with key stakeholders
- Specific responsibilities including positions of seniority
- Examples of commercial success, problem resolution or leadership achievements
- Highlight development opportunities
- Skill sets including hard skills and soft skills
Tailor your CV to the job description & highlight relevant
- Key skills required to do the role
- Essential qualifications
- Similar industries & departments
Our interviews provide you with the best opportunity to excel. We want to find out about your technical skills and competency strengths and depending on the role you have applied for, we may ask you to complete other tasks. This could include an online assessment or exercise on the day, as an example.
We will always provide you with a full brief and plenty of time to prepare, and we will be on hand to guide you through the process.
What is the selection process?
The format of our selection process can vary depending on the role. It is aimed at using methods which simulate the true nature of work and best assess a blend of skills, capabilities and competencies and can include any of the following:
- Telephone interview
- Face to face and/or remote interview
- Work trial and scenario based assessments
What preparation should I do?
- Familiarise yourself with the criteria for the role set out in the advert and job description
- Research Leeds Building Society. Take a look at our corporate website, LinkedIn and other social media channels
- Plan your journey and arrive at your interview location with time to spare
- Know who your interviewers are
- Come prepared with a list of questions
- Test your technology ahead of your remote interview
- If you require any reasonable adjustments for your interview, be sure to let us know
Prepare role related examples
Some of our questions are driven from our competency framework which can be found on the ‘Our Competencies’ section.
To answer these questions effectively, try practising the STAR technique. This approach helps you to structure clear and concise answers:
- Start by describing the Situation
- Describe your Tasks and responsibilities
- Explain what Actions you took
- And finally what were the Results?
How to make a positive impression?
- Put your phone on silent to avoid distractions
- Be yourself, smile, be confident and make eye contact
- Maintain a good posture and use positive language
- Relax, speak clearly and take your time to answer the questions
Our competency framework defines the behaviours required for good job performance which helps us to achieve current and future business needs. We have 4 core competencies for all colleagues and a further 3 leadership competencies for our people managers.
Competencies for all colleagues
Learn and Grow - Has the desire and ability to learn to be the best they can, now and in the future.
Make Things Happen - Has a strong work ethic and collaborates with the right people at the right time to achieve the right outcomes.
Positive Influence - Is energised by achieving success and works collaboratively to achieve positive outcomes.
Customer Centered - Understands our customer strategy and uses this knowledge to deliver an exemplary customer experience.
Competencies for our people managers
Inclusive Leadership - Creates an inclusive culture, which enables all colleagues to flourish.
People Centered - Leads by example, creating an environment of high colleague engagement and performance.
Curiosity - Exhibits a desire to understand, explore possibilities and strives to find better ways of doing things.